Transient sightings 2010

Transient sightings 2010 weergeven op een grotere kaart

Monday, April 20, 2009

T40

On Monday April 20th, my classmates and I were heading into Mitchell Bay after our first full day at sea when our Captain, Todd Shuster, noticed a collection of whale watching boats off in the distance. We took the opportunity to turn around and were rewarded by seeing a group of transient killer whales by Sidney Island. There was one male orca, which we later identified as T40, with four females or juveniles. We have not identified the other four whales yet. Males are typically easier to identify because they have larger dorsal fins, but T40 is especially easy to pick out because the tip of his dorsal fin is bent over. It was a very exciting hour watching the whales and the boats around them. A few times the whales took a view of the world above them by spy hopping and jumped into the air a couple of times as well. After the initial exhilaration, we began to confer about the behavioral state of the whales. We were unable to deploy the hydrophones in time to record any sounds. It was a good learning experience to enable us to be more proficient in organizing equipment so that next time we come across whales we will be able to record all forms of data. I feel fortunate that on our first full day at sea we came across orcas.
There are many more comments and pictures about sightings of this group of whales at orcanetwork .org. I will be able to post a picture or two of the experience when I get on land and have a more reliable internet connection.
The Beam Reach students onboard the Gato Verde