Transient sightings 2010


Transient sightings 2010 weergeven op een grotere kaart

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Transietn CA79



April 5
I got some great looks at a few transients today in Monterey Bay while onboard the Monterey Bay Whale Watch/Sea Wolf II (my first transient sighting, which is ironic considering I've seen the southern residents here, and on my birthday nonetheless!). I believe there was a male, two females and a calf, although I was not able to get a good photo of the calf- less female. Do these look familiar at all? (see photo above) Thanks,
Jessica Riggin, California State University Monterey Bay

Reply/ID from Alisa Schulman-Janiger:
I recognize the big well-marked male in your photo (above). This is CA79, a large adult transient male that was first seen off Pt. Reyes in 1989. He is primarily sighted in Monterey Bay; I saw him there in 2000. I cannot ID the female as of yet.
Alisa Schulman-Janiger, California Killer Whale Project, ACS/LA Gray Whale Census and Behavior Project, Director