Thursday, May 07, 2009

T40

Transient Orcas
attack Steller Sea Lion
May 7, 2009
Photo by
John Boyd

May 7
I had the opportunity to go out and see "Captain Hook" (T40) and the other transients, and witness a rare interaction between the Transients & a Steller Sea Lion. The 5 transients spent over an hour and a half toying with the sea lion, occasionally letting it "get away" before they'd lunge after it. The two younger whales were obviously practicing their techniques, and we kept wondering if they were just toying with the sea lion or if they'd really eat it. Finally, after 90 minutes of this behavior, they decided to eat and the steller was pulled below the surface and all five orcas disappeared for several minutes. When they returned to the surface, there was no sign of the sea lion. It was amazing to see the power of the orcas as they batted around this large animal. An awe-inspiring day that my words do not truly convey.
John Boyd (JB), Marine Naturalist, Friday Harbor

May 7
The Ocean Magic spent time with Capt. Hook, T 40 this afternoon. He was with four other Transient Orca. Possibly three females and a youngster. This was my first ever observation of this male with a distinct looking dorsal fin (see photo below). He sure is an old male Orca.
Marie, Orca-Magic Prince Of Whales, Victoria

Transient Orca T40
"Capt. Hook"
May 7, 2009
Photo by Marie O'Shaughnessy