Transient sightings 2010


Transient sightings 2010 weergeven op een grotere kaart

Sunday, June 21, 2009

T036, T036B, T036C, T099, and T099B


Transient orcas - T36's
Mutiny Bay, Whidbey Island
June 21
Photo by Lindsey McCune

Jared Towers of Canada's Cetacean Research Program, Pacific Biological Field Station has further ID's on the Transient orcas photographed off S. Whidbey Island June 21st:
The animals I can confirm are as follows. T036, T036B, T036C, T099, and T099B. T099A is likely there as well but can't confirm it at low resolution. kind regards,
Jared Towers, Cetacean Research Program, Pacific Biological Station

June 21
I just wanted to send you some photos (link at the end of this email) I took of the orcas we saw on the 21st. It was pretty incredible and it was a complete fluke that I even had my camera with me. As my Mom said, they were in or very close to Mutiny Bay at around 3pm. It was the first time we had taken the boat out this year and thought at most we might see some seals or porpoises; we have been going out around this area for many summers and had never seen orcas before. When we first saw them in the distance, we thought they were porpoises but as we got a little closer, we could see their big fins and realized they were orcas. Needless to say, we were in complete awe. We tried to maintain a respectful distance as we did not want to upset them. But they actually seemed quite curious about our boat (which was 19ft) and swam in closer to us. We shut off the engine and they acted very playful.
I'm sure you can tell more from the photos than I can but I believe there were at least 7 or 8 of them. There was one "baby" that looked very new, he is in a couple of photos. There was another small one too but he didn't look brand new. A couple of them have some pretty distinctive notches in their dorsal fins so maybe that could help to identify them. I am not an experienced photographer at all and this was one of the first times I had ever used my camera but I pretty much just took as many shots as I could and got really lucky with a few of them.
We were blown away by our encounter with these magnificent creatures and are eager to know more about them if possible. thank you!
Lindsey McCune