Transient sightings 2010

Transient sightings 2010 weergeven op een grotere kaart

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

T125, T127, T125A and T128

June 9
I was forwarded an e-mail and photos from Julia regarding a group of killer whales. She got some pretty good photos so hopefully someone can identify who this group of (transient?) killer whales is.
Thanks, Dawn Noren, NOAA Fisheries
Forwarded report:
My name is Julia and I am working with pinnipeds at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, OR. On Tuesday (June 9) I saw a group of at least 8 orcas off the central Oregon coast traveling southwards, between 5:40 pm and around 9:00 pm. The group consisted of two big males (one of them has a very remarkable dorsal fin - looks like cut at the tip), several adult females and probably one calf. The first sighting was at 5:41 pm pretty close to the shore in Depoe Bay. They spent about 20 minutes in the bay before slowly traveling south. A sea lion was present but the orcas seemed not to be interested at all. I followed them and saw them again off Rocky Creek State Park, Otter Crest and Cape Foulweather. Off Rocky Creek they were playing (or hunting?) and breaching. One of the big males separated from the group (maybe with one or more group members) and continued traveling south. From time to time they swam farther off shore and were hard to see. I ended up watching at Moolack Beach where the they were pretty close to the beach again. They showed almost the same behavior as off Rocky Creek for at least an hour. Around sunset they swam farther off shore again and I lost sight.
I hope this information and the pictures are helpful and usable! Best regards
Julia, Newport, OR

We forwarded these photos to orca researchers and received the following replies:
"I can ID T125 and T127 from the attached photos. It would be likely that both T125A and T128 would be present as well. These animals are usually seen near Langara Island so it's nice to have an encounter of them so far to the south. best regards,
Jared Towers, Canada's DFO Pacific Biological Field Station, B.C.
And from Dave Ellifrit, Center for Whale Research:
"Looks like T125 and T127 plus others."